Wednesday, September 26, 2012

For a Special Lady

My mother asked me to make a card for a special woman who is retiring from working with the preschool at their church. I had a blank slate, except I do have this thing for butterflies. It feels to me as though they symbolize growth. 

This is a woman who had volunteered for many years & had undoubtedly helped many children fly in one way or another. 

So, after sifting through the pads of designer paper, I came to rest on this soft violet tone. Used a coordinating DP off set on the front of the card rather than a traditional all around border. 

For the sentiment, I used the Layered Labels template by Hot Off The Press. I haven't used them much so I just realized on this "label" that once you trace one time around, if you flip it over & trace again, you get a complete outline to follow - much neater that way then guessing where the line goes to connect.   Anyway, I stamped before I cut to be sure I chose the right label. After cutting, I realized I had a smudge from the ink - what to do? Shade all the edges of course. I tested out the idea of ink on a makeup sponge - too much. Ended up going back to pastel chalk - that has to be one of the best tools I've ever bought; its lasted so many years already & you'd think I bought it yesterday. I used the makeup wedges with the chalk & smudged the edges - no more "mistake".

I layered a rectangle behind it with rounded corners and popped the sentiment up. 

okay, now the butterfly.....

I used the same designer paper, punched with a MS butterfly punch - twice. I needed 2 butterflies so they'd add dimension to each other. The two are stuck together at the body in the center. I used glitter & embossing powder both to get a bit of shine & shimmer on the wings. The body I just touched up with a bit of white gel pen. The antenna were a bit tougher...after looking at several options, the charcoal grey watercolor pencil was perfect. 

Hoping it shares the attitude of gratitude with its recipient.

No comments:

Post a Comment