Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Day in the Garden


 
So when I was growing up, I couldn't stand going into the garden to pick peas, beans, etc. I inevitably stumbled across very large spiders and didn't understand why I had to be the one doing this. 

Well, now I'm grown & really enjoy fresh produce from our backyard.  Still not crazy about working in the garden, but hey I have kids now!

I figured it was time to thank Dad for giving me an appreciation for home grown goodness and the efforts that go into each piece of produce.

For his birthday, I found a wonderful Free digital print "Girl in the Garden" from http://lineartdigitalstamps.com that I couldn't pass up. Life was too busy around Father's Day, so this had to be a special card.

As it so happens, there's also a challenge on Stampin Sisters in Christ to follow a plan....with a circle or oval element - here we go, time to get making the card.  Unfortunately, I didn't use any embellishments, so I won't be entering the challenge...oh well, maybe next time. I don't think it needs anything else.

Now to the card:


I colored the image using my watercolor pencils then cut around the thick black line. How to hide the imperfect cutting? Black background!


I used a Swiss dot Cuddlebug embossing folder on some inexpensive black card stock. Turns out, the pressure is too much for the stock and the white core came through. 



Now what? I've heard about inking the sides of stamps when you don't want the white layer to show, so I figured inking over this would be very similar. Some paper towel, black ink & a few circle movements later....voila, fixed!




 I left some undone on this piece, the right side is inked, the left not...doesn't come through much on the picture, but it makes a big difference!

 




 

 
So the gingham DP cried out farmer, but the black keeps it more stately...gentlemanly farmer, if you will.

 
Printed the Happy Birthday from the computer & layered it on. It seemed a bit stark being plain white, so I took my chalk pastels & did a faint cross hatch to mimic the gingham DP.

Thanks for looking!


No comments:

Post a Comment