Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Christmas Card Gift

When I began making cards, it was strictly something I did to express some creativity and love for people I sent to. I can't possibly buy gifts for the 60 or so on my list, but I can make 60 cards and think of all the people I send to as I create. 


This year I've been blessed by people appreciating my style to the point of asking for me to create cards for them to give or send.  Mostly its been requests for one card at a time. I find this challenging because I design around the recipients as I know them, and if I don't know them its kind of tough to do that. 

A while back, I showed some friends a design idea I had to get their feedback. One really seemed to like the concept & asked that I make her some cards to send out. When her plans changed, I still had the supplies & a start to a design I could see so......I took this opportunity to take a leap of faith and create the cards for our church bazaar.


Ok, for the recipe....5x7 card base; large green cs to anchor everything

The large tan cs is textured so I was sure to run it through the embossing folder with the texture up.  Within the frame opening, I used a slightly different green cs & then the focal - a reindeer stamped in chocolate brown on a very light green dp. Around the deer I stamped some snowflakes & the swirl in bronze then used embossing powder to give it just a little glow.

Truth be told, I did the embossed pieces first having made a template so to be sure my deer would fit within it....didn't want to have any stray embossed areas on the deer from the ink still being workable.

The lower portion echos the light green dp as a matting for the tan cs. I used the same chocolate brown for the sentiment. 

The big question then was, red nose or no red nose. It came down to red nose for the church bazaar and not for the gift for my friend. Plus, on the church set, I added a sheet of acetate to wrap the front - give it a more "shelf" look.

Here they are as a single card & then the accompanying set.

  


















 

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment